I pulled this together randomly, after looking at various recipes for vegan pad thai and vegan drunken noodles. What came out was … … . AWESOME. As always, sub out veggies for ones you have on hand. I imagine carrots, cabbage, bok choy, onions, celery, kale, broccoli, etc would do great in this. Also, adding pressed and baked tofu chunks would be good in this, or chicken, but I wanted this to be veggie and am currently avoiding soy (with the exception of small amounts of soy sauce.) Makes 4 hearty servings.
Sauce – blend together
about 1/2 cup of oyster mushroom stems, and a couple caps (save most of the caps for the stir fry)
1 cup vegetable stock
1 tbs fresh or pickled ginger
1 tsp dried basil leaves (thai basil is better, but use what you got)
2 tbs rice vinegar
2 tbs honey
2 tbs lime juice
2 tbs soy sauce
1/2 tsp chopped fresh garlic
a few tablespoons of pineapple juice from canned pineapple, or a couple pieces of fresh pineapple
pinch of chipotle powder (or other spicy pepper flakes or powder, adjust to taste)
Noodle Stir Fry
1 package brown rice pad thai or fettuccini noodles
1 red bell pepper
1 green bell pepper
1/2 cup finely chopped kale
1/2 yellow onion
1 tbs minced fresh garlic
a few pinches of salt
1 tsp dried basil
3 tablespoons of oil, sesame, canola, peanut or a mix
About 1/2 cup of oyster mushrooms caps, chopped
1 tsp fresh or pickled ginger
1/4 cup lotus root (optional)
1.Soak noodles in hot water for 10 minutes. You want them to be very al dente but pliable.Drain, rinse with cold water.
2. Pour about half of the total oil in a wok. Add onion and fry until translucent. Add mushrooms, garlic, and ginger.
3. Add peppers, kale, zucchini to wok. Start with densest and hardest vegetables that will take longer to cook.
4. Add lotus root. Sprinkle with salt and basil. Let cook for about 2 minutes on medium high heat. Stir vegetables and cook another 2-3 minutes. You want to see some starting to caramelize and brown, but you want the veggies to also be crisp and fresh looking.
5. Add the noodles and remainder of the oil. Toss with veggies.
6. Add the sauce on top. Let simmer for another 2-3 minutes, stirring by folding over the noodles. Be careful not to over stir, as you will make the noodles start to disintegrate and mush.
Top with sesame seeds and chopped green onions if desired.